Friday, July 9, 2010

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious!
If you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious,
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!


So yes, went to see Mary Poppins at the Kennedy Center last night. My heart is aflutter. It was practically perfect. And I got to go with my mom, which was extra child-like, and therefore all the more amazing.

A few Poppins reflections:
1. I want to live in Early 20th century London. This has been a thought for a while now, but between Peter Pan, The Poppins, and Miss Pettigrew, I'm farily certain life would be just like a spoon full of sugar. Well, aside from that whole WWII bombing of London thing.

2. Mary Poppins is a Snoot. And I love it. I was always intimidated by her as a child, but she has that tough love approach that kids swoon for. And Burt. Burt swoons for it too. My love for Burt was reaffirmed last night. Chim-chiminey, chim-chiminey, chim-chim-cheree...

3. The play is so different from the movie. Not better, just different. After all, it is possible for multiple forms of brilliance to exist at once. At one point, they go visit "Corry's Conversation Shop," where they shop around for words and letters to "buy" conversations.

What? I don't understand it, and therefore I love it.

4. And of course, the wonderful life lessons of "Feeding the birds...Tuppence a bag." Be kind to others Michael & Jane, for they matter too. No George Banks, money isn't everything: it's your family that's most important.

My only qualm was the cast of Mrs. Banks. I loved the 1964 movie version of Mrs. Banks for her dedication to women's rights, her raspily animated british voice, her love of the children and The Poppins, but mainly because: she was kinda crazy. Dancing around the house in her bloomer get-up singing about suffragettes. (It was then that my passion for Women's Right's was born...)



Broadway Mrs. Banks was boring, normal, and docile. Hair in a bun, reading a book by lamplight, no personality kind of boring.

And then I came home and dreamed about dancing across the rooftops of London...

Up where the smoke is
All billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars
Is the chimney sweep world

When the's 'ardly no day
Nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow
And 'alf way in light
On the roof tops of London
Coo, what a sight!

3 comments:

DG said...

you want to live in early 19th century London, yet have fears about WWII bombings?

Anonymous said...

Mags:
Thanks for sharing. Actually, giving women the vote, (at least, initially) was a DISASTER.
As i understand it,... it led to some "unfortunate" things, such as PROHIBITION ! My Gosh! Did "they" actually try to take away the right to enjoy, or abuse, a little "swill." Yep, they did !
Things are "better" now, (maybe?).

Libertarian said...

Maggie,

What do you think about the fact that women do not have to register for Selective Service at the age of 18 like men?

Would your beliefs for "women's rights" take you so far to be willing to serve involuntary.