I watched an entire episode of Seinfeld for the first time Monday night. My viewing was actually born out of desperation. Friends was over, I was situated quite comfortably on the couch, and the remote was no where to be found.
I had no other option.
I have always hated Seinfeld. I know it's weird and I don't care. I just don't like it. I've never understood it and I've never found it funny. But it's always bothered me that I never liked it. Like I'm missing some cultural secret that everyone else knows. I like The Office. Friends. Arrested Development. The Cosby Show. America's Funniest Home Videos. Where did I go wrong?
But 8 minutes in I find myself laughing. again. and again.
Then the realization hits: I only enjoy a show when I understand the essence of the characters. It's the quirks of characters that make television (or real life) so entertaining. I've never found Seinfeld funny because I've never paid enough attention to understand the pure absurdity that is George and Kramer. There was once a time (however brief) that I didn't find The Office funny because I had yet to understand the quirks of Michael Scott.
So all this to say, I will continue to give Seinfeld a chance. And I beg all readers to bear in mind my thoughts and give 30 Rock a chance. You don't know what you're missing.
And in this life, characters welcome.
3 comments:
Mags, I felt the same way. Never quite got into Seinfeld. Then I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm in college and got hooked. (Probably because I was forced against my will to watch the entire season so I started understanding the character development)
I can't support 30 Rock anymore because of Tina Fey.
I was happy that they did an episode about my native Cleveland, though.
have fun wasting your life away watching tv...reruns at that.
Post a Comment