Thursday, October 2, 2008

Night with Bonnie

My Father is absolutely convinced that he is genetically wired for computer malfunctions. He has told me on numerous occasions that his body emits sonar impulses that induce computer failure on a regular basis. I always thought this was nuts, until I took to the skies this summer.

More often than not, my flight travels this summer turned into maddening experiences. Be it overbooking, mechanical failure, missed connections, or ominous weather, I began to think I was genetically cursed as well. Maybe my father had a point.

But with every dark cloud there is a silver lining. Enter: My new friend Bonnie.

I first spotted Bonnie as I sat waiting for my flight in the airport. I was immediately drawn to her 1. because she looked normal 2. there was an empty seat beside her with a great view of the runway. As I sat down I noticed Bonnie was reading the very same book I was reading and, naturally, struck up conversation. She 54 and me 23, we immediately hit it off.

4 hours later we both found ourselves in the Memphis airport exhausted, frustrated, one of us quite tearful, and neither of us in our final destination. After an evening of sitting on the runway we both missed our connection flights. I immediately spotted Bonnie amongst the crowd of stranded strangers and, like a mom with a kid on a leash, didn't let her leave my sight. Although Bonnie seemed quite OK with spending the next 9 hrs. in the airport, at the risk of completely freaking her out, I suggested we get a hotel room. Thankfully, for the sake of my pride, she seemed OK with that.

We booked a room, hopped on the airport shuttle, and our slumber party began. Bonnie got dinner, I got Pj's, and we both settled in to a wonderful night of watching Phelps gold medal race #7. Got to love those Olympic athletes.

(at this time I'd also like to put in a plug for the sleep number beds available at the Hilton. um, they are great. I'm a 32. )

The next morning I had to catch my 7:00 flight, so I departed without a farewell to Bonnie. I left a note with my email and a thank you for what a true saint she was, and continued on my way.

We still keep up and although Bonnie might be convinced I'm a little weird, I'm convinced that if we lived in the same town, we would be friends.

And the most redemptive turn of events: what could have been a terrible night has turned into an entry for this blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

write more. Your words are like honey!

-Matty