Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar don'ts

So this time last year, THIS was my reflection on the Oscar show I witnessed the previous Sunday night. I loved it so. The Matt Damon/Ben Affleck fist punching, pep rally yelling acceptance speech will forever keep Oscars 1998 at the top of my list, but Oscars 2009 is a very. close. 2nd.

As a true lover and genuine admirer of all things cheesy and corny, I tend to think that when The Muse herself has trouble liking something, it must be really, really bad or, alternatively, may be just that good.

But I'm thinking last night's Oscars was the former. Disappointment abounded.

And now my list of don'ts:

1. I heart the fashion, and red carpet celeb gawking, but this year's dress parade proved....boring. Colors were....weird. Dresses were....ugly. My cases in point can be seen here and here and.....here. Oh, and of course

2. Speeches were a snore fest. I think this was because I didn't recognize, or care about, anyone who won (and that is huge. My celebrity interest & knowledge is embarrassingly vast). I also can't understand why Monique has to be all dramatic and Maya Angelou-ish everytime she talks? Whenever she has her audience, I feel as if she thinks her words are being documented for a Great American Speeches history class 20 years from now.

3. I didn't give a rats rear about anything nominated. Kinda like when No Country for Old Men won Best Picture- I just had to make my peace (still making) with the fact that it just wasn't the year for Maggie Movies: Nazi antics, war bombs, depressed people, and fake blue creatures in la la land just don't fit the category (although I do love the occasional la la land). One can only root for UP & Blindside so many times.

Oh goodness! This post is full of so much despise and hate. It is Monday after all.

But I think I'm now going to write about some Oscar do's. It was The Oscars after all.

4 comments:

Fran Mathis said...

Did you wear a formal dress to watch the Oscars this year?

Hannah said...

haha, Mags I felt the same way! i tuned in for a bit, appreciated a bit of the fashion (Sandra, that costume designer lady's spunk with her intriguing attire and hair piece), laughed a bit at alec and the father of the bride dude, and then tuned out b/c one can only take so much of freaky movies about sad/weird topics, with no lightness or humor (or, little of it). life is just not ALL BAD!!! yikes. i'm so sick of hearing about avatar, although the amount of awards it won made me think that i should at least see it.

much love. :)

Andrew Gibbons said...

All Hollywood does it talk about Hollywood...glad to see Bridges and Bullock talk about their families....On a whole, these people think they are so important, when in fact all they do is fill our DVD racks of memories that really dont mean a hill of beans...

Anonymous said...

Gibbons said "hill of beans" hehe