Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Mornings....and their cure

I ask you, is there anything more depressing than a Monday Morning? They sneak up way too quickly, last way too long, are filled with too many awful thoughts, and refuse to acknowledge when they are not wanted.

Today, The Muse found herself enduring an unusually terrible Monday Morning.

Instead of waking up to my 5:30 alarm and subsequently departing my bed for my morning workout, I decided to snooze. And while "snoozing", I fell back into the deepest of slumbers. My laziness and complete lack of self discipline were rewarded with an especially horrific dream that involved my precious pup Petunia being tortured to the point of near death by a group of hoodlums. She survived, but barely.

I woke up, but barely.

43 minutes later, annoyingly tired and deeply missing my Petunia, I managed to get. out. of. bed. The mane and the swoop never stood a chance with the stormy brew of humidity and rain hovering outside, but nevertheless my legs got me out to carpool in time-ish. Once seated comfortably in my usual spot in the Pollock Tahoe, It dawned on my that I literally couldn't. make. conversation. Not that Brian really cares if I talk and most likely values the days that I don't, but 20 minutes of silence in the car is just plain odd. All I could do was think about all the things I have to do and all the energy I'm lacking to do them.

Then I realized I forgot my wallet.

I actually really do wish I could go on and on about how horrible the day was, listing off tragedy after tragedy, like my very own real-life version of Alexander's Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

But the day was a really good one. Fast. Productive. Interesting.

And I'm pretty certain my day's salvageable success is due solely to the goodness of coffee.

As I was contemplating my horrific Monday Morning mood on the way home, It dawned on me how much of my happiness and liveliness I owe to coffee. It's quite sad really, but it's true. When I sit in front of my computer and enjoy that cup of caffeinated delight, I literally turn into a different person. One much for the better.

I believe my friend Katie summed it up best when she once reflected:
"I really wish I had been a fan of coffee in High School.
I think I would have had a lot more friends."

1 comment:

Katie said...

it's true. coffee changed my life.