Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why I Love

Parks and Recreation

I think I talk about television way too much on this blog.

Regardless, there is a lot of good television out there and, coincidentally, most of it happens to reside on the NBC Thursday primetime lineup.

Parks and Recreation stars Amy Poehler and is created by The Office people. Need I go on?

Probably not, but I will: Reasons why Parks and Recreation will be a H.I.T

1. They make the ordinary extraordinary: The documentary style is great because, like The Office, a simple turn and stare of the camera can make the situation hilarious. I prefer to think of the camera as another quirky character in the mix. And it is.

2. Likewise, when actors stop and look at the camera, so much is said with the one look. With these shows, the genius can be lost or overlooked but the personality of the camera helps to keep everything "in focus."

3. Some people have complained that Parks and Recreation is a mirror replication of The Office with the same characters and similar plot lines.

And the problem with that is.....?

I will agree there are similarities....but I think that's a good thing for a show starting out. Character development always takes a few episodes, but the characters of The Office set the foundation. For both shows, the quirks of the characters are subtle and hilarious and genius.

4. Every good show has a good romance and it's interesting what Parks and Rec is doing with Leslie and Mark. I won't be so bold as to equal it to Jim and Pam, but there are similarities. So you should probably watch and and see how that develops.

5. It is amazing the humor that develops at the expense of clueless humans. Michael Scott is prime example, and Leslie isn't far behind. The clueless mixed with the very capable has proved to be a winning combination.

That's all for now, but perhaps there are still a few thoughts musing around......

Until next time.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Maggie, YOU are genius. i am impressed by your insight. maybe you should be a TV writer???